Sunday, November 07, 2004

No, I am coming home on time after all, because my team-mates are fine with me being away for a month and I don't really want to spend £200 on a date change...

This is what my moot problem is about-- it's on international law. (Oh, this is Tor, by the way, in case you haven't realised.)

Appollonia is a small technologically advanced coastal state. Raglan is an archipelago not far off the coast of Appollonia. Magmuffin (no I am not making the names up) is a country across the strait from Appollonia. A regularly ships nuclear waste to M, taking a route across the Raglan archipelago. Raglan has a pirate problem. (You can guess what happens) However, the Raglan has started this new anti-piracy programme where naval pilots from the Raglan navy can be requested by foreign ships to pilot them safely across the pirate-infested archipelago. Appollonia does this and the pilot from Raglan turns out to be a pirate! He steals all the valuable stuff and lets the ship, full of toxic waste, drift around without power. Obviously it crashes onto a sandbar and spills its guts out onto random Raglan fishermen, obliterating the region's thriving tourism and fishing industry in the process.

Now they are suing each other.

Isn't it interesting? And this is for the Jessup International Law Moot. There's a regional round for the UK, then the winners go on to compete in Washington DC with the international teams. The Singapore team won last year (they win alot actually) and there're 3 Singaporeans in the LSE team (of 5) this year so we think there might be a reason behind our tutors choosing us to be in the team! How wierd would it be if we really do make it through to the final round and are up against Singaporeans! They will probably throw eggs at us and call us treacherous.

I really really really need to eat oh loa, char kway teoh and laksa. I cannot stand it anymore. I try and try but cannot seem to make chicken rice that tastes like how it should taste. Aargh. I hope my psyche is not irretrievably damaged. I am seriously considering not taking up my £30,000 a year job offer because I may end up deranged at the end of 3 years. Well, at least I have Bolbol.