Monday, March 07, 2005

This is not Gloria. And I'm not saying this is an effected post-modern Matrixy kind of way. I am really not Gloria. That's because I am TOR, of the Bolbol fame.

I am writing this in a somewhat disturbed state. There is wailing under my window. Yes, wailing. Not a cat yowling or children screaming kind of wail, but a low creepy moan born of real despair and anger. It is scary. It is reminds me of a surreal scene in horror movie where the people in the house are trapped without knowing it. The zombies are coming and they can smell your sweet human flesh! Like Night of the Living Dead. Which is more creepy in black and white than you would imagine it to be. Sometimes I really don't like living in London.

Luckily, I have Bolbol. Also, I have a bar of dark chocolate and a cup of soya bean milk. And a big glass mineral water bottle from Norway which I can use to defend myself, if necessary. Dao huey chui is more comforting that you suppose it to be. Accompanying me is a huge assortment of dustmites crawling up my nose this very instant as I've just vacuumed up a few hundred by sniffing my bolster. Not to mention their carcasses and shit. Hmm... tickly. Somehow the thought is less scary than the zombie people outside breaking in and eating me. I suppose I'd better wash Bolbol. I am not mad.

And speaking of not being mad, I just wrote this in my philosophy essay:

In Popper’s philosophy, all laws or theories are conjectural, or guesses, and one can never justify their truth empirically. In this regard he agrees with Hume. The implication of this sceptical conclusion, as stressed by Russell, is that all knowledge is of the nature of irrational belief, such that ‘there is no intellectual distinction’ between a sane man and one who ‘believes he is a poached egg.’[1] Popper counters this with the argument that the ravings of the lunatic can be refuted deductively by experience and that it is rational to choose the best-tested theory (he is a man) when there are competing theories (he is a man or he is an egg). Thus his method boils down to one of choice, and does not claim to be able to justify the truth or certainty of hypotheses.

Don't you wish you had a chance to ever write 'he is a man or he is an egg' in an essay? So actually in philosophy being mad and sane is the same. Isn't that nice?