Thursday, August 24, 2006

Who Is Your Favourite Singapore Idol?

I like watching Singapore Idol.

I watch it for the judges' comments, even if it means having to sit through another of Joakim's set-pieces. I usually go and get a drink from the kitchen at that time anyway.

I wait eagerly for a glimpse at Dick Lee's supposedly 50 year old face to try to guess what work he's had done to it-- a great hobby of mine. Ever since I discovered this page, I consider myself quite expert at discerning signs of botox usage. Jacintha's cryptic remarks are always a treat: 'We are still in the land of the living. You have to take us somewhere else.' is my favourite so far, although 'you are still in vocal purgatory' is also quite inspired. I do get what she is saying, but I'm not so sure about the idols.

My favourite Ken Lim comment so far is, 'Shh... Hear that silence? To me that silence sounds better than the sound coming out of your mouth.' No prizes for guessing who that was directed to.

Watching Singapore Idol is like watching Big Brother. You know it will turn your brain to mush, you know it is patently NOT a talent competition, you boo and hiss at your least favourite contestant, yet you still watch it to see just how bad he can get. I watch it for the same reason I watch Amazing Race and Temptation Island. I give in to my secret passions-- voyeurism, schadenfreude, appetite for gossip. Indulge your basest emotions with Singapore Idol: fun-filled family entertainment on Channel 5!

[Actually, come to think of it, they're not really secret right? Everybody knows I love scandal and gossip] Especially when my whole family pitches in. My father's favourite is Jonathon, who he says will get the cheena-piang vote as well as the holy-holy vote. (In the 'what would you take on a desert island' clip, he answered, 'a bible'.) My mother just thinks they all have no standard but Hady got chance since the malays will all vote him. I think I will only chu ma if Joakim looks in danger of actually winning the goddamn thing. I am actually willing to spend good money ensuring he doesn't represent the best of Singapore's talent solely due to the (rather surprising) spending power of hormonally-driven teenage girls. As I have mentioned, when I was a teenager I only got S$10 a week lah! Money was too precious to spend on frivolous things like voting Idols in. Food was a lot more important, hence my present size.

Dysfunctional as it sounds, 8pm to 9pm wednesday nights is quality family time for me and my parents. During the show, I relax, sit back and prepare to be entertained by my parents. And of course they do what they always do: bitch. Sometimes at me, about me. But I much prefer it when they just bitch about the Idols.