Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Being on holiday in SG means lots of daytime TV, doing housework, going to the gym, and writing blog entries.

I just got home from the gym where I had a very bad experience with the gym lady. She really f-ed me off. Our Bishan sports stadium gym has the most bizarre rules of any gym I have ever been to or heard of.

1. No water bottles in the gym
2. No MP3 players in the gym
3. Must put your bag on the reception floor, together with a pile of other bags, with absolutely no security (laughed when I saw the sign: management is not responsible for any losses)
4. No books in the gym
5. Can't use any machine for more than 20minutes, even if nobody else is waiting to use it
6. Towels must be 30cm x 30cm
7. Can only drink water in the reception from the water cooler.

There was a sign above the water cooler saying 'No spitting or washing hands in water cooler'. Bishanites must be a really disgusting lot.

The hawkish gym woman came over and took all my stuff away when I was on the exercise bike. 'No books!' she said. 'No MP3 players!' I was understandably confused. What is the rationale behind this rule? I asked. She just hissed at me. Hissed! I tell you.

So I used the bike in the corner so I could keep my eye on my bag on the floor in the reception. And I had to change machines every 20 mins because she was watching me suspiciously. I was a rule-breaker! The Raffles boys (why don't they use their own fancy gym? they must have one or what's the point of private-school facilities then? I know they have their own bloody pool!) stared as I opened my cunningly hidden water bottle and took a swig from it.

After 5 minutes of utter boredom and biding my time til the gym woman was distracted with her kid, I walked quickly to my bag and grabbed it, took out my book, retreated to the farthest corner, and started to pedal, holding the book beside me such that it was blocked by my body. She didn't even notice! I could have stolen someone's bag and walked out!

The next time I go, I am going to wrap up all my stuff in my towel and sneak it in. Bloody hell